Brewing in Pictures

A couple days before I brew, I make a yeast starter. I add my brewing yeast to a small amount of wort and put it on a stir plate. This insures that I have enough yeast cells come brew day.
Malted barley waiting to be milled.
The Barley Crusher is my grain mill and the electric drill turns the rollers. The malt needs to be crushed for the mash.
If the malt is crushed too fine, it will clog up my mash tun. If the malt isn’t crushed fine enough, I won’t get enough fermentable sugars out of it. This is the malt after it’s been crushed.
I brew on the balcony of my apartment.
My equipment. The red cooler is my mash tun. The coil of copper tubing is my chiller.
The crushed grains are mixed with hot water to make the mash. The ideal temperature for the mash is 152 degrees.
After steeping for an hour, I drain the mash to get my wort.
After the mash is drained, I fill the mash tun up a couple more times to rinse any remaining sugars from the grains. This process is called batch sparging. When the pot is full, it goes on the burner.
Some proteins and polyphenols coagulate as the wort heats up forming a film on top of the wort. This is called the hot break.
Stirring the wort and swirling the hot break.
The wort is close to a boil.
The wort begins to boil.
Eventually, I get a nice rolling boil.
Shortly after the boil starts, I make the first hop addition.
Hops normally look like little green pine cones. These hops have been ground up and formed into pellets.
Right after the first hop addition. You might notice a slight green tinge to the foam.
Just before the boil ends, I hook the chiller up to a source of cold water.
As the wort cools, various things precipitate out of solution. This is called the cold break.
A close up of the cold break.
As the wort cools, it also settles and begins to look more clear.
When the beer is cool enough so that it won’t kill the yeast, it can be siphoned to the fermenter. In this case, a 6.5 gallon glass carboy.
As the wort goes into the fermenter, an attachment on the end of the tube sprays the wort to aerate it.
The final ingredient is yeast.
Later that evening the wort begins to ferment, indicated by the bubbles on top. An airlock is attached to the top of the fermented so that the carbon dioxide can be released without letting outside air into the fermenter.
And the next morning the fermentation is bubbling up out of the carboy.
I attach a blow off tube to the fermenter and run it to a flask filled with sanitizer. This quickly overflows as well.
Brewing is not a clean process.